Notes on Software Development, Technology and Life.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Transferring Files From The Blackberry to Linux

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just got a BlackBerry curve from Amazon. As those who know me are aware, I am an avid Linux user, therefore the CD that comes with the Blackberry is useless to me, since it includes software for Microsoft Windows.

I was wondering if there was a way to transfer pictures and other files between the Blackberry and my Fedora Linux laptop. Out of curiosity I plugged in my Blackberry to one of the laptop's USB port To my surprise, shortly after plugging it in, a window popped up in the Blackberry asking me if I wanted to turn mass storage mode on. I answered yes and, lo and behold, the Micro SD card in the Blackberry was automatically mounted by Fedora.

By having the card accessible in my laptop, I can easily copy files, for example pictures taken with the Blackberry, to my laptop and vice versa. This way I can copy music files to the Blackberry as well to listen with its built in media player. What a nice surprise this mass storage mode was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home